Throughout our nation’s history, eight different submariners have earned the Medal of Honor. Seven of the eight recipients were commanders of attack submarines in the Pacific during World War II. In that theater American submarines played a central role in defeating Imperial Japan, sinking more Japanese ships than any other platform. Learn more about these brave members of the Silent Service who went above and beyond the call of duty.
Medal of Honor Recipients
Locations of Submarine Medal of Honor Actions During World War II
Other Submarine-Related Medals of Honor
- LTJG Albert L. David and the Capture of U-505
- Navy Divers Earn the Medal of Honor Saving the USS Squalus (SS-192)
- Clear the Bridge!: The War Patrols of the USS Tang by Richard O’Kane
- Thunder Below: The USS Barb Revolutionizes Submarine Warfare in World War II by Eugene Fluckey
- Battle Surface!: Lawson P. ‘Red’ Ramage and the War Patrols of the USS Parche by Stephen Moore
- Death at a Distance: The Loss of the Legendary USS Harder by Micheal Sturma
- Silent Victory: The US Submarine War Against Japan by Clay Blair Jr.